Wide-Area Motion Imagery for Aerostats
Kestrel is the only wide-area motion imagery (WAMI) system to be mounted on an aerostat and used to protect U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. This electro-optical/infrared WAMI sensor can both detect and track multiple vehicles and dismounts moving over a city-sized area—and thanks to its aerostat platform, it can do so 24 hours a day, for weeks at a time. In addition, Kestrel can record everything occurring within its 360-degree field of view for later analysis.
Available to International Markets
Until recently, the Kestrel WAMI system was only available to the U.S. government and military. But now it is exportable to international customers as well. The updated Kestrel Block II provides the same capability as the original, battle-proven model in a compact package nearly half the weight of its 150-pound predecessor. This reduced weight allows Kestrel Block II to be mounted on a wider range of aerostats.
Kestrel Block II WAMI System
Kestrel’s features include:
- Resolution optimized to track vehicles and detect moving dismounts
- Unlimited pan and digital zoom within entire field of view
- Ability to cue high-resolution full-motion video cameras for target identification
- Motion imagery tagged, indexed, and archived for up to 30 days
- Ruggedized system for easy operation and maintenance
- Streaming video windows to support multiple sensor operators at once
- User-defined “watchboxes” to provided sensor operators automated detection alerts
The Kestrel family has set new standards in WAMI systems. They are rugged and easy to maintain while in the field, and since the first sensor deployed with U.S. forces in Afghanistan back in September 2011, Kestrel has clocked more than 200,000 operational hours, safeguarding troops in and around forward operating bases against enemy ambushes and IEDs.
Kestrel’s long endurance and 30-day recording capability make it an excellent choice for:
- Base protection
- Force protection
- Patrol/route reconnaissance and overwatch
- Border security
- Disaster relief/humanitarian assistance support
- Sporting or large event security
- Logistical hub protection
- Counter-smuggling missions
- Counter-terrorism security
- Pattern-of-life analysis
- Anti-poaching monitoring
Kestrel customers include U.S. and other government users as well as commercial entities. For more information on the Kestrel system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.